Happy birthday to me! Happy birthday to me! (Yes, I’m singing to myself!) I’m also celebrating the birth of my blog, officially one year old tomorrow! I’m so excited! As in, Jessie Spano excited that one episode of Saved By the Bell when she gets addicted to Caffeine Pills. You know the one – “I’m so excited! I’m so excited! I’m so… so… scared.” OK, I’m not really scared, but I am a little scared. I’m officially on the wrong side of 25 with just a hop, skip and a jump to 30. Wow!
As I turn the page to the age of 26, I’d love to take a moment to reflect on where I am and all that happened this past year. So here it is, the “Top 25 of 25″ – including the good, the bad, the ugly, and the absolutely amazing:
- I graduated law school. BOOM.
- I passed the bar exam. DOUBLE BOOM.
- I got to see some incredible music, including but not limited to: Adele, Steely Dan, Toro Y Moi, The Mountain Goats, Phish, Animal Collective, and Bon Iver.
- I had a double breast lumpectomy, and the biopsy for both was clean. I am a very lucky girl.
- We lost my grandfather in June. He was an amazing man who led an incredible life and will be missed very much.
- There were other graduations to be celebrated – most notably my brother from Hunter College (who is now getting his Masters at Columbia), my brother-in-law from the CIA (who now works at Colicchio and Sons as a chef), and my dear friends who graduated from Columbia’s Master of Social Work program and inspire me with their endless pursuit of helping others.
- My step mother Emily with the help of some dear friends threw me the most gorgeous bridal shower in history!
- My friends and sister threw me an awesome Bachelorette party, complete with a party bus through NYC, naked blow-up dolls, and penis accessories (as required!). A night I’ll never truly remember, nor will ever forget!
- My cousin Lauren had a baby girl, who is both beautiful and healthy! Our family is blessed with one amazing child after another!
- My father started a new business dedicated to curing opiate addiction through medically-assisted detox. Not only is the business thriving, but he’s doing something he’s passionate about. I couldn’t be more proud.
- There were new pet additions to the family – 2 pugs on my dad’s side, and a new yorkie for my mother. Yep, we’re dog people. Maybe 26 will be the year when Dimona gets a brother or sister
- I got to read A LOT. Thank you, unemployment. On a related note, I got a Nook! (Shallow, but it has been life changing!)
- Oh hey, I GOT A JOB! My career as an esquire is just beginning…
- I think I got married?
- But seriously, Josh and I had the most amazing reunion with all of our friends and family for an entire magical weekend – the memories of which bring us infinite amounts of joy every day!
- THE HONEYMOON aka “Sussmans Do Sonoma.” My heart is in California.
- This little blog here, started the day after my birthday last year. I could never have imagined the happiness and comfort this blog could give back to me, the connections I’ve made and the support that you all have shown me. I’m so happy I did this!
- The New York Giants won the Superbowl!
- The day I found my wedding dress!!! (last wedding one, I swear)
- I went on a fabulous girls’ trip to Cancun in February with my step mom and two of my sisters. It was a wonderful bonding (and tanning) experience!
- Josh and I left our teensy tiny little studio apartment in Brooklyn to stretch our legs in the suburbs for a bit. We think Queens might be calling our name in the near future.
- I hit and knocked down a piñata last weekend with some pretty amazing friends cheering me on, proving you can be young at heart forever!
- Are you bored yet?
- I got more dog-slobbery kisses than a girl can count!
- I lived, and loved, each and every single day of this entire past year, and thank God for all of my family and friends who have joined me for the ride!
So what will 26 bring? Well, I know today will include birthday sex and cake (kids don’t read this blog, right?), so I’m already starting this year off with two of the best things in life! Wishing you all a happy hump day – no pun intended! xoxo