This past weekend I was lucky enough to be included in one of my dearest childhood friend’s weddings as a bridesmaid. Here are a few pics of us ladies getting ready, and a shot from later in the evening with my handsome hubby Sorry for the poor picture quality – all were taken on my cell phone.
Welcome, December! I’ve been eagerly awaiting your arrival.
The holiday season always brings out an excessive need in me to craft and bake, as evidenced by a few of last year’s posts: DIY holiday wreath, cookie-in-a-jar gift, christmas cupcakes with eggnog frosting,…
Here are a few fabulous decorating and baking ideas that I am dying to try out for this Christmas:
Are you as pin-spired as I am? Of course, I’ll be lucky if I actually get to 2-3 of these fabulous ideas!
I’d love to hear some of your favorite craft ideas and recipes for the holiday season. Have a lovely weekend, xo!
Happy birthday to me! Happy birthday to me! (Yes, I’m singing to myself!) I’m also celebrating the birth of my blog, officially one year old tomorrow! I’m so excited! As in, Jessie Spano excited that one episode of Saved By the Bell when she gets addicted to Caffeine Pills. You know the one – “I’m so excited! I’m so excited! I’m so… so… scared.” OK, I’m not really scared, but I am a little scared. I’m officially on the wrong side of 25 with just a hop, skip and a jump to 30. Wow!
As I turn the page to the age of 26, I’d love to take a moment to reflect on where I am and all that happened this past year. So here it is, the “Top 25 of 25″ – including the good, the bad, the ugly, and the absolutely amazing:
- I graduated law school. BOOM.
- I passed the bar exam. DOUBLE BOOM.
- I got to see some incredible music, including but not limited to: Adele, Steely Dan, Toro Y Moi, The Mountain Goats, Phish, Animal Collective, and Bon Iver.
- I had a double breast lumpectomy, and the biopsy for both was clean. I am a very lucky girl.
- We lost my grandfather in June. He was an amazing man who led an incredible life and will be missed very much.
- There were other graduations to be celebrated – most notably my brother from Hunter College (who is now getting his Masters at Columbia), my brother-in-law from the CIA (who now works at Colicchio and Sons as a chef), and my dear friends who graduated from Columbia’s Master of Social Work program and inspire me with their endless pursuit of helping others.
- My step mother Emily with the help of some dear friends threw me the most gorgeous bridal shower in history!
- My friends and sister threw me an awesome Bachelorette party, complete with a party bus through NYC, naked blow-up dolls, and penis accessories (as required!). A night I’ll never truly remember, nor will ever forget!
- My cousin Lauren had a baby girl, who is both beautiful and healthy! Our family is blessed with one amazing child after another!
- My father started a new business dedicated to curing opiate addiction through medically-assisted detox. Not only is the business thriving, but he’s doing something he’s passionate about. I couldn’t be more proud.
- There were new pet additions to the family – 2 pugs on my dad’s side, and a new yorkie for my mother. Yep, we’re dog people. Maybe 26 will be the year when Dimona gets a brother or sister
- I got to read A LOT. Thank you, unemployment. On a related note, I got a Nook! (Shallow, but it has been life changing!)
- Oh hey, I GOT A JOB! My career as an esquire is just beginning…
- I think I got married?
- But seriously, Josh and I had the most amazing reunion with all of our friends and family for an entire magical weekend – the memories of which bring us infinite amounts of joy every day!
- THE HONEYMOON aka “Sussmans Do Sonoma.” My heart is in California.
- This little blog here, started the day after my birthday last year. I could never have imagined the happiness and comfort this blog could give back to me, the connections I’ve made and the support that you all have shown me. I’m so happy I did this!
- The New York Giants won the Superbowl!
- The day I found my wedding dress!!! (last wedding one, I swear)
- I went on a fabulous girls’ trip to Cancun in February with my step mom and two of my sisters. It was a wonderful bonding (and tanning) experience!
- Josh and I left our teensy tiny little studio apartment in Brooklyn to stretch our legs in the suburbs for a bit. We think Queens might be calling our name in the near future.
- I hit and knocked down a piñata last weekend with some pretty amazing friends cheering me on, proving you can be young at heart forever!
- Are you bored yet?
- I got more dog-slobbery kisses than a girl can count!
- I lived, and loved, each and every single day of this entire past year, and thank God for all of my family and friends who have joined me for the ride!
So what will 26 bring? Well, I know today will include birthday sex and cake (kids don’t read this blog, right?), so I’m already starting this year off with two of the best things in life! Wishing you all a happy hump day – no pun intended! xoxo
Happy Saturday every lovely body! I hope you’re having a wonderful weekend thus far. Welcome to the 4th (5th?) installment of my weekly web recap. This past week, I’ve had my trip to Mexico on the brain and even with all the love and gushiness floating around the web for Valentine’s Day, it seems I’m not the only one with the travel bug. Whether they’re exploring new destinations or just have warm weather on the brain, these bloggers really seem to be on my wavelength this week!
- Nothin’ like NEON to get me in the mood
- A picture worth 1,000 words [of excitement]
- Cuba is for lovers
- In case you need a reason to travel
- This Dress > Cabo
- Check out #10 if traveling with your pet
- Cosmetic bag must-haves
- Can I just have this outfit and this outfit in my suitcase, please?
- Sunglasses envy
- #1 on my travel bucket list
- Fiesta footwear
- A cute DIY for those beach souvenirs
- Genius packing advice
I’ll be spending the rest of the day packing and spending time with the hubby (he won’t be joining me, it’s a girls’ trip). I always pack so last minute – are you a packing procrastinator like me? Mexico, here I come! xo
Good morning everyone! It’s another unseasonably warm day here in the northeast (will winter ever come?!) but I’m going to try to make the most of it and spend some time outdoors today while trying not to think about ozone depletion and the world ending and all that.
In other fabulous news – we’re only 5 days away from another Giants superbowl victory! Although Josh and I haven’t firmly cemented our plans yet for the big game, food is definitely on my mind! The recipe I’m sharing today is easy to make, and always a big hit. When I made these fries for my family a few weeks ago, I thought I had cut waaaay too many. Surprise, surprise, they were all gone within minutes. Anyone can cut up a potato, but the key to this recipe is my special seasoning rub!
- EVOO for tossing – about 2 tablespoons
- 5 Sweet Potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4″ slices
- 2 tsp. Kosher Salt
- 1 tsp. Black Pepper
- 1 tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp. Brown Sugar
- 1/2 tsp. Paprika
- 1/4 tsp. Chili Powder
- Set oven to 425˚F. Mix all dry ingredients together, and set aside.
- After slicing and peeling potatoes, place in a large tupperware container or bowl. Toss with EVOO until lightly coated, but not dripping. Next, add spice mixture and toss lightly again, until all fries are coated. (I often just use my hands to mix the fries and spice mixture).
- Lay coated fries on a parchment paper-lined cookie sheet, and spread evenly in a single layer so that they cook evenly. More than one cookie sheet is most likely needed, or you can cook them in separate batches.
- Place cookie sheet on the top rack of your oven, and cook fries for 35-45 minutes, turning every 10 minutes or so, until crisp and done to your liking. To brown them a bit, use the broil setting for 2-3 minutes at the end of cooking. Serve and enjoy!
I love them alone or just with ketchup, but to kick your superbowl party up a notch, you need a knockout dip:
Chipotle Aioli Dipping Sauce
- 1/2 cup low-fat Mayo
- 1 Tbsp. chopped Chives
- 1 tsp. chopped Garlic
- 1 tsp. Chipotle Chili Powder or Hot Sauce
- 3 tsp. Lime Juice
- Salt and Black Pepper to taste
Combine all ingredients in a small bowl, then place in the fridge to chill until ready to serve!
Have a lovely day, xo!